Editor's Preface - Trench's New Testament Synonyms
Editor's PrefaceTrench's Synonyms of the New Testament has been a popular and informative work since it first was published in 1876.
This revised edition of Trench includes the following improvements:
1. Greek and Hebrew words that appear in the Bible have been coded according to The New Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible (Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 1984). Other Greek words are cited according to their meaning and pagination in Liddell-Scott's A Greek-English Lexicon (Oxford: Clarendon Press).
2. All quotations from foreign languages have been translated into English.
3. Foreign language titles to works by classical and ecclesiastical authors have been spelled out.
4. The entire book has been completely rewritten by John J. Hughes and Claire M. Hughes to modernize and simplify the English style, spelling, punctuation, and sentence structure.
5. Unless specified to the contrary, the New King James Version is the version cited.
Robert G. Hoerber
Trench's Synonyms of the New Testament